Friday, July 10, 2009

Bible Awe

Well if you don't know chapters 38-42 of Job are some of my fav parts of the bible. I love reading them over and over. I just get well awestruck. I can't even grasp the greatness of God... in fact I'm having problems even writing about what I can't grasp because there are no words that I can think of for it. My child like faith comes out in me and I just want to sit on the lap of God and ask him tons of questions. 'Do you ever make shapes out of clouds?' 'Do count off the seconds between lighting and thunder?' 'Why are the colors of hair: black, brown, blonde, red and the color of eyes: brown, green, and blue?' " The grass is green. The sky is blue. The sunset is pink. The leaves change from yellow to red. Do you not like the color purple? Good, neither do I." 'How long did it take Adam to name all the animals?" "What makes you laugh?" "Do you ever sneeze?" Then, I'd probably get tired and ask God if we wanted to go fishing with me.


Anyway, one of the things I love about these chapters are the creatures described in them. Job 39:9 "Is the wild ox willing to serve you? Will he spend the night at your manger?"
If you look up the word use in the original text it's 're'êm'. Many scholars believe this animal is the extincted auroch. The auroch was 2 metres (6.6 ft) at the shoulder and weighed 1,000 kilograms (2,200 lb). The last recorded live aurochs, a female, died in 1627 in the Jaktorów Forest, Poland. The skull was later taken by the Swedish Army during the Swedish invasion of Poland (1655–1660) and is now the property of Livrustkammaren in Stockholm. This kinda puts a whole new meaning on the words "wild ox" in the verse. Gosh, this animal would have been over a foot taller than me. God is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment